We did have a couple of stops to make, so it was around 1700 by the time we got away. It was a flat calm trip, with no wind and an small opposing current to slow us down. There were surprisingly few boaters heading out, and nothing as far as junk/deadheads in the water to contend with, so a very un-eventful trip down. We did pass some friends from our PRM dock, as they were returning back from a trip, but that was about it. We got in around 2015, rafted up to 'Persistence', and began to enjoy the warm dock hospitality.
The wind blew up a bit overnight and we awoke to clouds and a spit of rain. BPSP had reserved the pavilion adjacent the dock, and supplied a delicious assortment of goodies for breakfast. They planned out a bevy of activities -a trail walk over to China Caves, an abbreviated Weather seminar, and a mini treasure hunt for the kids. Dinner was a potluck appie, with BSPS again supplying the main deli meat, buns, and fixin's (a imposed fire ban altered the original burger plan). Everyone enjoyed themselves, and it was followed up with acknowledgements (and a little good natured ribbing) for all those that helped out with the event. After that, there was a short sing-along of sea songs. A good time had by all.
The wind came up even more Saturday night -I was awoken not by the wind, but by Elsa, who WAS awoken by it. After her & Lisa confirmed we were still tied securely to the boat we were rafted to, everyone made there way back to sleep. We were awoken Sunday morning by the sounds of rain, and needing to make a final decision on when to depart. Needing a 2.0ft tide for departure, that meant we would need to depart either before 1000, or after 1430. The wind forecast for the morning was 10-15 , increasing in the afternoon to SE 15-25kn. Getting underway seemed the prudent thing to do, so we after preparing for departure, we cast off.
As it turned out, there wasn't much wind at all. After we past Little Sucia, there was enough to warrant motor-sailing with the genoa (something that I hadn't done with the girls before), so we talked through the why's, how's, and what to do's and proceeded to make it so. It actually takes much longer to explain these things sometimes, but it helps the girls feel more comfortable, so I'm happy to take the time. Anyways, we kept that going for a couple of miles past Patos, till the wind died completely. We motored for a while, until the wind began to pick up again, and we motor-sailed the last 6 or so miles. We gained anywhere from .75 to 1.1 kn. in additional boat speed, which helped, but what I was most glad to see, was they also recognized how much the sail steadied down the boat, because the wave action was much more noticeable once we furled. Dockings continue to improve; both at the pump out, and our slip are becoming more fluid and confident. I think we're going to get the hang of this boat yet!