Tides -current, really- dictate this trip, and for us that meant for a 0900 departure from PR. Both 'Prime' and 'Nauti Lass' were casting off as well. They have faster cruising speed than we do, so while they paused at the fuel dock, we headed out -knowing they'd overtake us along the way. The first leg down to the bottom of Tumbo/East Point was windless, so once around the rips, we were happy to see a bit of a breeze appear. It was short lived as we got maybe 20 min. of actual sailing time. We continued on motoring, but made good, uneventful time, arriving at Roche at 1300.
Friday night included a 'boat hop' social that is a great mixer -especially for us as new members- to either get to know, or re-know some of the other members. Saturday was to our own devices with a potluck in one of the party tents on the floating docks. The unsettled weather of the past 2 days became rain, so upon returning to our boat, we started setting the wet outside chairs and cushions into the not as wet enclosed cockpit area to quasi dry.
Sunday morning the Easter bunny appeared on the boat and our Megan (as well as Elsa, back at home) got to do their traditional hunt. We also brought along some easter bunny balloons, so quickly inflated them and attached them to each boat from the group that had little kids aboard.
With the turn of the weather along with some having Monday commitments back home, some of the boats headed back home, or over to Sucia for a change of view/shorter Monday leg. Given how wet everything was and how much dirt would get everywhere if we took Charm to Sucia, we opted to stay put till Monday.
Deciding when to depart is always an interesting dance amongst boating groups. While I would have preferred not to go as late as we did, I also did not wish to go as early as would be required to time currents for an a.m. departure. Besides the winds were their snarliest early mornings over the last 3 days. We planned for a 1300 departure; the skies had already cleared and the seas had flattened a little, so off we went, as scheduled, with us and Nauti Lass being the last boats heading home. Unfortunately, I obviously blew 'Tides & Currents 101' because I misread the flow and timed the flow AGAINST, perfectly. That added close to an hour and a half to our return trip. Oops! We did manage to sail Boundary Pass, but after rounding East Pt. the forecasted shift from N to NW did not occur, so we had the wind right on the nose to PR. We did fall off a little to get a little help from motor sailing, but at that point we weren't taking the additional time to sail it proper.
Aside from the longer than planned trip home, it was a wonderful first family trip of the season. I can't wait for the next.